Monday, August 21, 2006

 
FLOYD GOTTFREDSON INTERVIEW

A nice two-page interview with one of the grand old men of Disney animation, conducted in 1979 by Jim Korkis is up on Animation World Magazine's website.
__________________________

JK: Did you get to meet Walt?

FG: Walt himself looked over my samples and asked me what sort of work I was interested in doing and I told him I wanted to do comic strips. Well, at that time, Disney wasn’t doing any comic strips. Walt was quite a salesman. He told me I didn’t want to get involved in doing comic strips because it was a rat race. He said that the future would be animation and he was so convincing that I said, “Fine. Do you have any openings in animation?” And he said, “Sure, we’ll put you in as an in-betweener.”

JK: Did you start working at Disney immediately?

FG: I went to work the following day, Dec. 19, 1929. I was 24 years old and had been married for five years. I had been earning $65 a week as a projectionist and Walt was offering $18 a week but I took it because he had really convinced me that animation was the future.

___________________________________________

Well Uncle Walt certainly knew what he was talking about when he said comics strips (and books) were the "rat race" and animation was the future (like cryogenics). Of course, animation (particularly in Japan) provides a crushing rat-like workload as well, but at least you get paid for your work (or so I've heard). Go over to AWM and read the rest.

While you're there you can check out the extensive report on all things animated from Comic-Con 2006.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?